During my first round of Munros I tackled the Fisherfield Munros over two weekends.

1) Ascent of Beinn a'Chlaidheimh, Sgurr Ban, Mullach Coire Mhic Fhearchair and Beinn Tarsuinn walking in from Corrie Hallie and staying overnight in Shenavall bothy.

2) Ascent of A'Mhaighdean and Ruadh Stac Mor walking in from Poolewe and camping near the Causeway beside Carnmore.

During June 2007 I revisited these hills, with a number of walking-club friends, in an attempt to do the round of six Munros.

Click here to see a map of the route undertaken

On Sunday 3rd June we parked at Corrie Hallie and set off in the early afternoon, laden with heavy packs, along the landrover track next to the Allt Gleann Chaorachain. We each carried in a tent of our own, our own cooking utilities, etc. With a bit more pre-planning we would have been better-off taking fewer tents and sharing the load. On reaching the point where the landrover track splits (with a footpath leading on to Shenavall bothy), I persuaded the group to carry on along the main track down to NH089790 beside the small wood. We pitched our tents here. The ascent of Beinn a'Chlaidheimh is much easier from this point and the Abhainn Strath na Sealga shallower than a few kilometres NW at Shenavall.

It pretty much rained during the whole walk in, while pitching the tents and for five or six hours thereafter. We all went to sleep hoping the weather would improve, as forecast, the following day.

I awoke just before 5:00am on Monday 4th June to a beautiful clear morning.

Base Camp at NH089790 at 5.00am:

It wasn't long before everyone else was awake. Breakfast was consumed, countless midge bites were obtained and we set off walking just before 6.00am. Midges can really encourage you to get moving. With all the rain the day-previous, the river crossing was about knee-deep. In order to keep the inside of our boots dry we all took off our boots and socks, and a couple of us put on sandals, to cross the river.

Tom crossing the Abhainn Strath na Sealga:

After getting our socks and boots back on we began the ascent of Beinn a'Chlaidheimh up easy grassy slopes. Much easier than ascent from Shenevall. At around 550m we stopped to re-group and to take some photos.

An Teallach from slopes of Beinn a'Chlaidheimh:

Loch na Sealga (and hut at Larachantivore):

We set off again eventually reaching the ridge, the 900m top and then the summit of Beinn a'Chlaidheimh (916m). The next hour or so was quite pleasant walking, passing the 815m top, dropping down to the lochans at the 650m bealach and then the ascent of Sgurr Ban, the second Munro (989m).

Sgurr Dubh ridge from summit of Beinn a'Chlaideimh:

Just after leaving the summit of Sgurr Ban we saw a Golden Eagle. However, by the time anyone got their camera out it was simply a dot in the distance. The descent from Sgurr Ban to the next bealach is stony but straight-forward. The ascent from the bealach up Mullach Coire Mhic Fhearchair is quite steep.

Ascent of Mullach Coire Mhic Fhearchair:

We stopped for a quick bite to eat at the summit of Mullach Coire Mhic Fhearchair, the third Munro, before continuing on. We skirted round the side of Meall Garbh and approaching Bealach Odhar met an adult ptarmigan with a number of chicks.

Ptarmigan chick:

The ascent of Beinn Tarsuinn, the fourth Munro, was nice and easy. The table top of this hill is a very interesting feature.

Table Top of Beinn Tarsuinn:

Looking back to Beinn a'Chlaidheimh, Sgurr Ban and Mullach Coire Mhic Fhearchair from Beinn Tarsuinn:

The next section of the walk involves some easy scrambling. We continued over the Table Top of Beinn Tarsuinn and over and round various pinnacles before making for the bealach at 525m near Pollan na Muice. From this bealach the terrain changes from lots of stones to pleasant gentle grassy slopes.

Looking back from slopes of A'Mhaighdean to Beinn Tarsuinn:

On reaching the summit of A'Mhaighdean you really see why Fisherfield is such a special place. The views from A'Mhaighdean are simply outstanding. Neighbouring Corbett Beinn Lair has possibly the longest continuous cliffs in Scotland. Fionn Loch/Dubh Loch are stunning. The colour change in rock from Grey Lewisian Gneiss? to Red Torridonian Sandstone between A'Mhaighdean and Ruadh Stac Mor is also very distinct.

Bob at summit of A'Mhaighdean (Beinn Lair in background):

View from summit of A'Mhaighdean:

With one Munro to go we set off from A'Mhaighdean towards Ruadh Stac Mor.

Ruadh Stac Mor from A'Mhaighdean:

The descent to the bealach between A'Mhaighdean and Ruadh Stac Mor is quite straightforward. Pass various bands of rock and if you are lucky the Fisherfield Howff.

Bill at the Howff:

The ascent of Ruadh Stac Mor is quite steep and you need to ensure you follow the path to get up through a crag. Was great to reach the summit of Ruadh Stac Mor the sixth and final Munro of the day.

Group Photo on Ruadh Stac Mor:

Bill taking in the views from the edge of a cliff:

From the summit of Ruadh Stac Mor back to "Base Camp" seemed to take forever. We descended to Lochan a'Bhraghad and on to the path at Clach na Frithealaidh. We followed this path, alongside the Gleann na Muice Beag and then alongside the Gleann na Muice for several kilometres. We eventually reached Larachantivore where most of our group decided to cross the Abhainn Gleann na Muice. I however continued on to cross the Abhainn Strath na Sealga near Loch na Sealga (one river crossing instead of two). Was surprised/lucky to find a crossing place that was shin-deep.

I stopped in past Shenavall for a quick look round before continuing on a final 3km or so back to our tents, arriving back at 20:00. We spent the night in our tents again and I think most of us were so tired we didn't have a problem sleeping.

On Tuesday morning, we packed up our camp and walked back out to Corrie Hallie. A superb walk that I cannot recommend enough